I am a Seattle area designer with a background in communications and broadcasting. I began my career as a technical writer and also worked for public television as a video editor and camera operator. My love of photography and my transition to the computer happened when I began working as a desktop publisher and bought my first Macintosh—a 13 inch color classic with an impressive 80MB hard drive. From there, I was hooked and made the natural progression toward design and visual communications.
I am currently working as a contract designer and marketing strategist with two travel companies. I collaborate with marketing teams on overall strategy and campaigns. I manage B2B and B2C email marketing including campaigns, weekly promos, and weekly newsletters. I also ensure that branding guidelines are followed and consistent across all collateral.
Prior to my contract work, I was the Web and Email Marketing Manager for TCS World Travel (TCS), a luxury travel company. TCS had no prior digital marketing program when I came onboard. Within my first year I helped lead and implement the company’s digital strategy and build all digital assets from the ground up. I create stylish, results-driven work in a deadline intensive environment on a daily basis. Some highlights of my accomplishments and work at TCS include:
- Creative director and lead designer for the website redesign. I defined the features and functionality for the website, including site navigation, information design, usability, and flow of transactional screens with an understanding of browser/platform constraints as they affect online design. I also collaborated with the development team to customize our CMS. I maintained the website in Drupal and worked on advanced features and organic growth. After launching the new website, we doubled traffic, increased average time spent on the site by 300%, and tripled the mailing list.
- Launched and produced iPad folios and redesigned a more interactive and immersive app for TCS that was selected for the Adobe Digital Publishing Showcase Gallery.
- Designed and built an email presence that showcased the product experience and promoted social engagement, resulted in an average 30% open rate. Sold out three trips based on emails and without printed brochures.
- Led the creative on major campaigns, which included a special invitation and email to past guests, resulted in $2.6 million in sales in under a month; a digital campaign that booked $1.8 million in sales in under two months; and doubled our mailing list in under three months with the launch of our new site, content, and digital efforts.
- Established social media properties, including LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Created an animated/interactive PDF expedition schedule.
- Improved the quality and standard of images used in marketing materials and negotiated contracts with stock photo houses that provided significant discounts.
I don’t fit many of the prevalent “designer” stereotypes aside from a love of comfortable clothes and all things Apple. I am very organized and detail oriented and get excited about anything that streamlines and automates my workflow. I have ideas, but I am a gracious collaborator and seek compromise that benefits all parties. I love learning new software applications and technical skills and researching current trends in design and marketing. I am adamant about staying current on design trends and technology, not only because it is important to my work and employer’s success, but because I find it interesting and exciting.
I love living in the Pacific Northwest as I am an outdoor enthusiast and enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, camping, and biking. I find physical activity and fresh air a necessary part of achieving balance with my screen time. I also enjoy spending time with my family (which includes a husband and a giant dog), reading, live music, and binge watching TV shows.